A fire broke out in a Queens home operating as an illegal daycare center on Wednesday, sending one child to the hospital in serious condition and injuring 17 other kids, officials and sources said.
A lithium-ion battery caused a fire in the basement of the two-story home at 147-07 72nd Drive in Kew Garden Hills just after 2 p.m., FDNY officials said.
One child was transported to Cornell Hospital in serious condition for smoke inhalation, FDNY and sources said.
The other 17 children were in stable condition and “refused medical attention on the scene,” according to FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief Stacy Scanlon.
Officials have not released the victims’ ages.
“Companies arrived and found heavy fire in the basement. Firefighters removed some pediatric patients from the building, including one from the fire area in the basement. The fire was under control within 40 minutes and was confined to the basement,” said FDNY Chief of Operations John Esposito
Roughly 60 fire and EMS personnel responded to the scene, according to FDNY.
Fire Marshalls are investigating, FDNY said.