Biden signs bills to go after COVID-19 assistance defrauders

Good Morning America

Congress passes bill named for toddler who died after swallowing a battery

A bill designed to help keep young children safe by strengthening safety requirements for products with button batteries has passed both the U.S. House and Senate, and is now headed to the desk of President Joe Biden. The legislation, known as Reese’s Law, is named for Reese Hamsmith, an 18-month-old Lubbock, Texas, girl who died after swallowing a button battery, the small, round batteries found in many home devices and toys. After her death, Reese’s mom Trista Hamsmith made it her mission to ensure no other parent had to suffer the pain and loss her family did.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement